The Special Reclamation Fund Advisory Council's primary purpose is ensuring the effective, efficient, and financially stable operation of the Special Reclamation Fund and the Special Reclamation Water Trust Fund.
According to WV Code § 22-1-17 the Council shall consist of eight members:
- The Secretary of the Department of Environmental Protection or his or her designee,
- The Treasurer of the State of West Virginia or his or her designee,
- The Director of the National Mine Land Reclamation Center at West Virginia University,
- And five members to be appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate:
- A member serving as an actuary/economist,
- A member representing the interests of the coal industry,
- A member representing the interest of environmental protection organizations,
- A member representing the interests of coal miners,
- A member representing the interests of the general public.
Each appointed member serves a term of six years.
The SRFAC meets quarterly.