The Department of Environmental Protection is a covered agency under the WV Division of Personnel (DOP) and governed by the Administrative Rule. Therefore to be considered for employment with the Department of Environmental Protection, applicants must currently be employed in a “covered civil service” position and meet the minimum requirements for the advertised position, test through the Division of Personnel to get established on DOP’s referral listings, or be eligible for reinstatement into a Division of Personnel covered position. Refer to the Division of Personnel's website for more information about the DOP’s processes and procedures.
An exception to the hiring process is made for all positions in the Division of Air Quality and attorney positions for the Office of Legal Services. Positions within the Division of Air Quality follow the hiring requirements for the agency; however, testing through the Division of Personnel is not required. To fill positions within the Division of Air Quality, applicants are required to submit a completed “DOP Application for Examination” to the Department of Environmental Protection by the established deadline.
- You may download the “DOP Application for Employment” from here.
To view current job openings within the WV State Government, visit the West Virginia Division of Personnel Job Search Page or follow the steps below:
- Go to https://personnel.wv.gov
- Under "State Employment"
- Click on "Promotion/Transfer Jobs Open"
- Show all Job Postings
If you are not a current civil service employee or eligible for reinstatement, follow the steps below:
- Go to https://personnel.wv.gov
- Under the "Job Seekers"
- Click on "Jobs Open for Application
- Scroll through the titles or use the search option
- Click on job ttile and follow appropriate instructions for submitting applications electronically
Note: If the job title requires a written examination, you must go to a WV test site within 30 days of submitting your electronic application. If the job title requires a review process, you should receive your test score(s) within two to three weeks.
Applying for a Current DEP Opening
To apply for a current opening with the Department of Environmental Protection, please submit a completed “Division of Personnel Application for Employment” to the following address:
West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection
Office of Administration, Human Resources
601 57th Street SE
Charleston, WV 25304
Should you have any questions, please contact the DEP-HR, Pre-Hire Unit:
Phone: (304) 926-0499 x1557
Fax: (304) 926-0483
Governor's Internship Program
Each year the Department of Environmental Protection takes advantage of the Governor’s Internship Program to hire college students during the summer.
Should you have an interest in this program, please refer to the West Virginia Governor's Internship Program website and follow the directions for students. This website usually starts accepting applications for the current year in February.
The Department of Environmental Protection does not hire Environmental Inspectors from the Division of Personnel’s referral listings. If you have an interest in the Environmental Inspector title and you are not a “covered civil service” employee or eligible for reinstatement with WV State Government, please refer to the Environmental Inspector-in-Training title at https://personnel.wv.gov/job_seekers/
- This does not include Environmental Inspectors for the Office of Oil and Gas
- The Division of Personnel’s Internal Job Vacancy Postings are usually updated each Monday.
- For covered/reinstatement state employees, please use the “DOP Applications for Employment” for current job openings within WV State Government; must have a signature and be dated during the posting period.
- DEP posting numbers for advertised Department of Environmental Protection positions should be included on submitted applications along with the title.