The passage of the Natural Gas Horizontal Well Control Act has mandated a process for the registration and approval of centralized natural gas drilling impoundments and pits. This page will provide assistance and guidance on the implementation of this legislation. Also included in this page is information related other pit/impoundment activity not specified in the new legislation.
Please see the PowerPoint presentation (in PDF format) below for a review of the implementation process. This presentation gives an initial overview of the process to obtain a certificate of approval for impoundments and pits greater than 5,000 bbls. It also discusses registration of impoundments or pits that are associated with a well work permit. Check with this page periodically for updates.
* Note that forms have been updated since the launch of this site. The PowerPoint slides have also been updated to reflect some changes to procedures. Please review for updated information.
Date / Update
- 02/08/2012 / Form IMP-1, format correction, auto fill boxes eliminiated
- 02/10/2012 / Form IMP-3, typo corrected
- 03/13/2012 / Updated forms (Added IMP-1A and IMP-1B)
- 03/13/2012 / Update PowerPoint PDF
- 07/23/2012 / Updated PowerPoint PDF, most recent informaton.
- 10/23/2012 / Updated Example Maintenance Plan
- 10/23/2012 / Updated Example Monitoring and Emergency Action Plan
- 10/24/2012 / Update Form IMP-1A, Associated Impoundment Form
- 10/29/2012 / Update Form IMP-1B, Centralized Pit Form
- 11/05/2012 / Update Form IMP-1B, Added Water Quality Plan to checklist
- 02/05/2013 / Update Form IMP-1B, Section 4 Checklist, to include L.O.D and roads.
- 03/04/2013 / Edited Form IMP-2, removed coal owner notification reference
- 09/26/2013 / Update Pit and Impoundment Powerpoint PDF
- 10/29/2013 / Added FWLP-88 Fresh Water Imp. Land Application
- 10/04/2013 / Storage Tank Permitting Reference added
- 08/19/2014 / Update Water Management Plans for Storage Fac.