May we take this opportunity to welcome you to our website. Since the business we are in is dynamic, this website will always be changing in order to keep you informed about what we are doing. We hope you find the information contained here is sufficient to satisfy the majority of your needs. We recognize, as you do, that it is often almost impossible to anticipate the total spectrum of demands that are placed on any information management system. Therefore, there will always remain the need for personal contact via telephone, fax, mail, email or a face-to-face meeting with a representative of this office.
We hope your visit proves to be an informative one and that you will revisit us in the future. Any suggestions you may wish to offer regarding our website are welcome. Feel free to contact the Division of Air Quality and let us know what you think.
2019 Certified Emissions Statement Invoices
The 2019 Certified Emissions Statement Invoices were inadvertently sent out using the 2018 emissions inventory. New invoices were sent out July 2, 2020 along with a memo.
Important COVID-19 Compliance and Enforcement Information
- DAQ Compliance and Enforcement Bulletin: COVID-19
- Date: March 27, 2020
- Purpose: To provide statewide guidance to the regulated community on procedures to address compliance issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- DEP News Release "WVDEP still enforcing all applicable rules and regulations amid COVID-19 pandemic"
- Date: March 27, 2020
- Summary: The WVDEP worked with the EPA in the development of a new temporary enforcement policy –“COVID-19 Implications for EPA’s Enforcement and Compliance Assurance Program” –outlined in a memorandum released March 26, 2020. This policy makes it clear that EPA expects regulated facilities to comply with regulatory requirements, where reasonably practicable, and to return to compliance as quickly as possible. The policy also requires facilities to document decisions made toprevent or mitigate noncompliance and demonstrate how the noncompliance was caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- U.S. EPA Memorandum "COVID-19 Implications for EPA's Enforcement and Compliance Assurance Program"
- Date: March 26, 2020
- Summary: The EPA will exercise the enforcement discretion specified below for noncompliance covered by this temporary policy and resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, if regulated entities take the steps applicable to their situations, as set forth in this policy. For noncompliance that occurs during the period of time that this temporary policy is in effect, and that results from the COVID-19 pandemic, this policy will apply to such noncompliance in lieu of an otherwise applicable EPA enforcement response policy.
- U.S. EPA revised substitute data provisions for units with delayed quality assurance tests due to COVID-19
- Date: April 17, 2020
- Summary: EPA revised substitute data provisions for units with delayed quality assurance tests due to COVID-19
DAQ Proposed 2021 Legislative Rules
- To read the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection's 2021 proposed legislative rules in their entirety or for information about upcoming public hearings, use the links on this page maintained by the WVDEP Public Information Office.
View Today's Air Quality Index
Local air quality affects how we live and breathe. Like the weather, it can change from day to day or even hour to hour. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and others are working to make information about outdoor air quality as available to the public as information about the weather. A key tool in this effort is the Air Quality Index or AQI. USEPA and the Division of Air Quality use this standardized system to provide the public with timely and easy-to-understand information on local air quality and whether air pollution levels pose a health concern.
Introduction to West Virginia Air Quality
- Introduction to West Virginia Air Quality provides an overview of the DAQ, its history and responsibilities, and an overview and history of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS). We do not attempt to answer all questions about air quality, however, we hope we have provided a basic explanation of air quality, air quality regulations, and the function of the DAQ.
- 2017 West Virginia Air Quality Annual Report
- The 2017 West Virginia Air QualityAnnual Update highlights the work of the Division of Air Quality (DAQ) for the calendar year 2017, and provides data on the air quality monitoring network, attainment status with the various National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS); summary data of permitting actions, compliance and enforcement actions, and small business assistance activities; emissions trends in air toxics; and highlights of outreach events. This document is intended to supplement the companion document, Introduction to West Virginia Air Quality, which was published last year, and provides an overview of the DAQ, its history and responsibilities; an overview and history of the NAAQS; and provides a basic explanation of air quality, air quality regulation, and the mission of the DAQ.
West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection
Division of Air Quality
601 51th St. SE
Charleston, WV 25304
Phone: (304) 926-0475
Fax: (304) 926-0479
Email WVDEP DAQ