Frequently Asked Questions

  • How often do I sample?

    Permittee’s semi-annual reporting start date is determined by the date coverage under the general permit was issued and/or reissued.  Registrations issued/reissued on the first through the fifteenths of a month will use that month to determine the semi-annual reporting date.  Registrations issued after the fifteenth of each month will use the next month to determine the reporting start date.  For example, if permit coverage was issued in February, on or prior to the 15th of the month, you would report your results by August 20th.  If permit coverage was issued in February, after the 15th of the month, you would report your results in September 20th. 


  • For what do I sample?

    Sample for all the parameters listed on your discharge monitoring report (DMR).

  • Who can analyze my samples?

    A laboratory certified by the state of WV – you can find a list of certified labs by checking on the WVDEP website or by contacting Patrick Burch at (304)926-0499 x 1067

  • What do I do with my stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWPPP) and groundwater protection plan (GPP)?

    Both of these plans are to be maintained at your facility. Make sure the plans are updated when necessary. The updates would include a list of the training that you conducted or provided for your facility under the storm water pollution prevention program. These protection plans should also include a record of all spills and remedial actions taken to clean up those spills.

  • How long is my permit valid?

    Around 5 years. The current permit was reissued in April 2009 and expires on March 31, 2014.

  • Who do I contact if I have any general questions or have trouble filling out my application or discharge monitoring reports?

    Patrick Burch at (304)926-0499 x 1067,

    or your local DEP Environmental Enforcement Inspector