Construction, modification, or removal of a dam under state jurisdiction requires a Certificate of Approval. Upon receipt of an application, Dam Safety reviews the design of the engineering proposal. Safety standards set by the Dam Safety Rule must be met before the Division of Water and Waste Management issues certificates. Annual renewal of Certificates helps to ensure that dams are maintained in a safe condition.
Click here for Instructions to complete a Certificate of Approval Application
Click here for a Certificate of Approval Application Form
Public Participation - Each application must be advertised as a Class 1 legal advertisement in a newspaper of general circulation in the county where the dam is located. Class 1 advertisements are published once, not on sequential days. Persons wishing to request a hearing must write to the Dam Safety Section within 15 days of the advertisement publication. Upon receipt of a hearing request, Dam Safety is required by law to schedule a hearing. Citizen's concerns will be taken into consideration in the Department's decision to either refuse, or to issue an approval.
To renew Certificates, owners are required to document:
- Up to date inspections - For a required Engineer Verification Statement, click here.
- Approved Monitoring and Emergency Action Plan (EAP) - For additional information, click here.
- Approved Maintenance Plan - For an example of a maintenance plan, click here.
- No outstanding safety violations
- Payment of an annual registration fee