The purpose of DEP's Underground Storage Tank (UST) Section is to regulate underground storage tanks that contain petroleum or hazardous substances to determine compliance with state rules and federal regulations. West Virginia has had full program approval from EPA since February 1988.
The UST team performs the following tasks:
- Conducts compliance inspections on active UST facilities such as gas stations, chemical plants, trucking depots, fuel distributors, airports
- Inspects new underground storage tank installation
- Provides information, where possible, to individuals who are buying property with USTs
- Issues citations and notice of violations
- Prohibits delivery to USTs not meeting certain requirements
- Conducts compliance assistance inspections
- Answers citizen questions and complaints
- Provides emergency response to suspected releases from UST
Important Notice: Alternative Fuels Compatibility
For a list of Underground Storage Tank staff contacts, please click here.
For information about the Leaking Underground Storage Tank Program (LUST), please click here.